Sunday, February 28, 2010

John Lennnon - I'm Stepping Out

(Polydor, 1984)

Once more to the well! Here’s further doodly-doo from the archives, a partner/sequel of sorts to “Watching the Wheels” where John addresses the big-city bored-dude itch that comes along with his decision to squirrel himself away as a daddy for five years. It’s a stiff straight-rock-combo performance, clearly not intended to be a final take, but it’s strong enough as far as outtakes go (though maybe not worthy of release as a single). Yoko’s alien-croon funk come-on “Sleepless Night” adds little… beyond “Walking on Thin Ice,” the post-Double Fantasy years aren’t her most exciting musical period. Fashion commentary: the cover of this record reminds me once again that our friend John was bizarrely thin back in ’80. What was that about? Was he skiing the Bolivian slopes, wink-wink? HEY, SEARCH ME!

3 comments:

Donald Brown said...

there seem to be a lot of Lennon singles; I forgot there were songs post-DF. I musta been somewhere else then, that phony Beatlemania has been the dust, usw.

But my head begins to swim when I try to imagine what awaits when you get to M...

Donald Brown said...

whoops, "bitten the dust," yeah.

ithinkihatemy45s said...

Good gravy, when I get to M -- or, to be more precise, McCa -- I'll either start sucking the bottle or sucking a pistol...