Monday, March 3, 2008

Black Tambourine - Throw Aggi Off The Bridge

(Audrey’s Diary, 1992)

Well I was washing my hands at work this afternoon when I happened to glance into the mirror and exclaim, “Hey! I don’t look nearly enough like a ten year-old girl!” And I didn’t! So I sprinted forth and entered the area haircuttery, which is, oddly enough, staffed by the former personal stylist for Joey Ramone (dat’s NYC, I s’pose). When I emerged thirty minutes later, I was a dead ringer for old pal Ramona Quimby, sure to be called “miss” at Starbucks and carded at bars all ’round the town for the next many months. And here I am at home, getting ready to review a Black Tambourine record, when it is with SHRIEKING MAD LAUGHTER that I realize I now bear an unsettling resemblance (hair-wise) to the luvlee lady of this fine rock band. Time to grow a beard! While I’m doing that, I’ll give this single – their second and last – some serious thought, follically linked to it as I am. Though the three songs on here were recorded during the same month as those on the “By Tomorrow” 7”, they show a sillier, punkier, rockin’er side of Black Tambourine that reminds me quite a bit of the Pooh Sticks in the total careening pop wackiness. Cluttered drumming, frenzied noise guitar, wonderful vocal melodies, and, best of all, death wishes for Stephen Pastel’s girlfriend sung with Pam Berry’s cheerful innocence on “Throw Aggi Off the Bridge.” Plus a rather crunching, trebly Love cover (“Can’t Explain”)! Wha?! Fun, the whole thing, start to finish. Please just buy that darn Complete Recordings comp already; there is no good reason not to own this music. Do you like my beard?

4 comments:

Donald Brown said...

Forget the sleeve scan, just post a pic of you as Ramona Quimby with a beard...

Ok, ok, I'm gonna get this Black Tambourine stuff as soon as I can get around to it...

Anonymous said...

Do you have the track listing for this single?

ithinkihatemy45s said...

(1) Throw Aggi Off the Bridge; (2) For Ex-Lovers Only; (3) Can't Explain

45 Revolutions said...

Fantastic record!!