Thursday, April 10, 2008

Butthole Surfers - Good King Wencenslaus

(Trance Syndicate, 1994)

No surprises here. It sounds exactly like you’d expect a late-period Butthole Surfers cover of “Good King Wencenslaus” to sound: the massed voices, the squiggly/squealing guitars, the caveman percussion, the squelchy electronic breakdowns. The saving grace is the amusing blackout-drunk voiceover that takes over a minute or so into the song. “How come…there’s little…bugs out there…(hic)…having sex…a bunch of ’em are having sex and, and spending a lot of money…?” And so forth. Tee hee. No need to turn up your snoot at some honest, down-home sophomoric fun, especially when it’s being done in the name of Christmas cheer!

On the B-side, the nonsensical lyrics of “The Lord is a Monkey” are delivered in an evil drawl, and the whole thing is a loose, repetitive, squawking, and distinctly unpleasant bit of bad-trip, shitkicking guitar-psych. It could stand to be a bit more interesting – never gets anywhere exciting – but given that the song was recycled on Electriclarryland in 1996, it’s fun to think how noxious it must have been to innocent “Pepper” fans the world over. Did I already say “tee hee”?

While I’m on my high horse, please allow me to discuss a nice system I have for keeping track of multiple baseball games. I watch one on my laptop with the sound off (Red Sox), have a second on ESPN Gamecast on the computer (Rangers), put a third on the radio in my bedroom (Mets), and then there’s a fourth playing on the radio in my living room (Yankees). This way I can walk around my apartment and follow four games pretty much simultaneously. Your record might be OK, but did you ever follow four games simultaneously, Butthole Surfers?

No comments: